Go Back   Boatfreaks > General Forums > Pictures and Videos
Register Calendar

Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Nice looking barn.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM

very nice mark I know you are excited about getting everything moved in.

Riverfronthandyman.com
Old 12-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Mr 2 chits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKES280 View Post
Mark can you insulate a building like that ? Also how is it attached to the ground ,i see it appears to be a poll building but is the band at the bottom wood and if so want it rot over time. I am not questing how but to lean because it looks like a good way to build a building without having a ton in it
Yes, it can be insulated. Going to do nothing for now but thinking sprayed from the floor to about 36-40" up and then roll insulation from there up. Steel exterior, then framing, then vapor barrier and insulation, then drywall. Sprayed has a better vapor barrier but the rolled allows for fishing electric, air compresser pipes, etc. I guess you could conduit and spray the whole thing, all in how much $$ you feel like spending.

Poles are concreted 4 feet in the ground, then the building is built and then a 4" concrete floor. The bottom 2 x 10 pressure treated band board keeps things square when framing and then becomes the form for the concrete pad. The pad is 1.5" higher than the building sides. Blue chip/stone is going on the outside. In 30-40 years that board may rot but once the concrete forms it isn't doing much any way. Not doing concrete outside because not sure if ever going to build a house next to the barn, convert part of the barn in to living space or whatever. Better not to have to jack hammer concrete later when not sure.

Looking at the barn as 3 areas- the right 24 x 40 with the big door, the left 24 x 40 with the porch and then the upstairs. 14 feet high on 1st floor would mean a lot of steps if the upstairs was finished living space (doing steps up, then a landing, then steps up in like a U shape a the rear of building right in the middle). Instead of doing the upstairs a living space, could do the left 20 x 24 as living space and leave the right as the garage or leave it all garage and build a house. All it takes is money right?

Options:
12" over hang all the way around vs just on front/back
7 x 12 pitch roof opens upstairs up but have to beef every thing else up to support load upstairs
Clear span 40' trusses, 2 x 10 at bottom and 2 x 8 at top
2' on center framing
12' x 24' porch
Coupla w/deer weather vane
16' x 14' insulated door
white trim
extra windows/doors & shudders

Building is around $25K base, $35K with all the extras. Could have done a plain 64 x 40 for the same money and no options.

Good base numbers:
$10K site work
$10K bank run
$10K concrete, blue stone, extras, etc
$35K building

Not doing plumbing for now, that is another $10K-$15K for well/septic and permits and so on. Port-a-potty and gravity feed water may be a short term option. One of those things, it's a barn and have to cap the budget some where.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Real sweet
Old 12-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mark, i really did not mean to ask you how much you spent, but thanks as that gives me more of a idea.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Mr 2 chits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKES280 View Post
Thanks Mark, i really did not mean to ask you how much you spent, but thanks as that gives me more of a idea.
I offered the info. Any one can go online and price out a pole barn, just figured I'd put some real numbers on it so readers would know what they could expect or save by doing it themselves or whatever.

Don't be getting all sensitive on my round fella..
Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Mark, Very Nice! I Know The Area, Great Spot. Like To See It Sometime.

BADA-BING
Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutphen30 View Post
very nice mark,very nice.
here we go.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutphen30 View Post
+1
and put more in of my girlfriend.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Mr 2 chits

Garage door went up today, concrete being poured tomorrow.

BobbyB is finally done working on my boat (clogged injectors, got new plugs and some other stuff while in the shop) so she'll be in her new home some time next week!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
Garage door went up today, concrete being poured tomorrow.

BobbyB is finally done working on my boat (clogged injectors, got new plugs and some other stuff while in the shop) so she'll be in her new home some time next week!
Looks Good Mark.... Run some lines in the Concrete so you can do a Radiant Heating System, nice warm slab when your working on the boat is nice!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:57 PM

You must drive your new wife nuts with all the options and cost/benefit analysis..but very nice building, Mark. It's funny how the landscapers always underestimate the dirt they need- same thing happened to me....must be part of the code.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:18 PM

It is surprising when you start spreading dirt out that it seems to disappear. I was able to get 160 free loads of dirt to level out my site. i was there when they started hauling and had to leave..... when i came back after they were finished hauling......... i was wondering what i was going to do with all that dirt.......after we got it spread i called the guy back to see if we could get about 20 more loads...........

Riverfronthandyman.com
Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
Looks Good Mark.... Run some lines in the Concrete so you can do a Radiant Heating System, nice warm slab when your working on the boat is nice!!!
Ditto that. Now is the time to get some insulation down at grade level and run some Pex lines for future use.

Very nice by the way.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Mr 2 chits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
LOL- like I work on my boat. HVAC went in today, pics below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayCheck View Post
You must drive your new wife nuts with all the options and cost/benefit analysis..
You have no idea how accurate you are. Looking back over my numbers-, I forgot the $18K in survey work to the land from the get-go. Thanks for the reminder- LOL! I didn't add that in since that cost was in 2008 when looking at building there. Paving the road- $115K. Needless to say, no paving of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36outlaw View Post
I was able to get 160 free loads of dirt to level out my site.
Nice!! The 44 tons loads of blue chip delivered yesterday was about 44 tons too light as well. Yes, I have pleanty of Advil laying around!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barn13.jpg (110.9 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg barn12.jpg (118.9 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg barn11.jpg (112.7 KB, 334 views)