Go Back   Boatfreaks > General Forums > Pictures and Videos
Register Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 AM

I think it's well worth the trip. Was a bucket list item for us as well. Next time though we'll hopefully have the boat there with us and maybe we'll be able to coax a lovely local tour guide with river knowledge to make sure we stay out of the reeds show us the way.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhauler View Post
I will second that. We knew we were going in 2013 but not towing that distance. Got on www.riverdavesplace.com and just outright asked if there were anyone that would consider letting us ride for expenses. Had 2 RDP members offer a ride almost immediately, but we were there all week so when we arrived we went to the boat show the weekend prior to the poker run and RDP had a booth set up. Got to meet many of the RDP members at the show (great bunch of people) and ended up hanging out with them the entire week. They really took us under their wing and treated us like family. We spent a day in Parker on the river on one of the members boats, visited a couple other members homes on the river and hit all the bars on the water up and down the Parker strip. They had a booth at the street party so we met even more of their members there. On poker run day River Dave had a monster houseboat provided by a friend, and Johnny West (Ultra Boats) was the captain and he took us and many others on the houseboat for a helluva party all day on Lake Havasu. We ran out of ice and luckily the Mills brothers (Baja 1000 racers) from Texas were on the boat with us so they just summoned their helicopter to fly ice out to the boat to keep the party going. It was all over the top and for me it was a bucket list experience, and we made lasting friendships. We then invited all of them to Lake Murray and one of the West Coast guys came out and spent a week with us and did the Lake Murray poker run. I hope to continue the tradition.
I must have met you that year as I was off and on the Houseboat and the Mills helicopter that weekend. As a matter of fact, I wanted to get up and leave on Sunday morning by 6am...at 5:30am I was still partying on that Houseboat.

Who is going to DS this year? I leave in 15 days. Can't wait.

Sent from my Samsung RT99 using Tapatalk.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:24 PM

I guess nobody likes Desert Storm here.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
I guess nobody likes Desert Storm here.

I'm the OP on this thread. I love DS. I have been going for years and normally spend the entire week. I have gone as a spectator most years. Last year, I had a booth at the street party to do market research on a new product I'm developing for the action sports market. It was a great way to get the necessary PFMR.

The parade thru the channel is great, the street party is a gear heads paradise, the poker run it self is fun to see the big boats run. Giving rides for the disadvantaged is heart warming. Just seeing the rigs towing around town is a show in itself.

For me, the speed runs are boring.

The logistics that Jim and his crew deal with are mind boggling.

Desert Storm is a great event.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefever View Post
I'm the OP on this thread. I love DS. I have been going for years and normally spend the entire week. I have gone as a spectator most years. Last year, I had a booth at the street party to do market research on a new product I'm developing for the action sports market. It was a great way to get the necessary PFMR.

The parade thru the channel is great, the street party is a gear heads paradise, the poker run it self is fun to see the big boats run. Giving rides for the disadvantaged is heart warming. Just seeing the rigs towing around town is a show in itself.

For me, the speed runs are boring.

The logistics that Jim and his crew deal with are mind boggling.

Desert Storm is a great event.

Yes it is a great event. The speed runs are boring...unless you are in a helicopter shooting the event. :D Last year, we piled a bunch of people in the Midnight Express (center console) and headed up river during the shootout. Got rained on, but was a great time.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Yes it is a great event. The speed runs are boring...unless you are in a helicopter shooting the event. :D Last year, we piled a bunch of people in the Midnight Express (center console) and headed up river during the shootout. Got rained on, but was a great time.
Agreed the view from a chopper must be very cool.

I'm in Havasu right now for our annual Family Reunion on my wife's side. Always a ton of fun. Love my extended family. Headed to Topock66 for lunch tomorrow. I never get tired of that ride.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 AM

Agreed. The Topock Gorge is beautiful. Topock66 and Pirates Cove are both a lot of fun.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Agreed. The Topock Gorge is beautiful. Topock66 and Pirates Cove are both a lot of fun.

Great Shot!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefever View Post
Great Shot!
It is a great shot. I don't know who's pic it is.