Go Back   Boatfreaks > General Forums > Pictures and Videos
Register Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 PM
Head Trouble Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutphen30 View Post
well,now computers do the lay out,you just specify the modules job.old days they did it by pen and paper.
He did a ton of it on AutoCad. He had the blow ups printouts on his office windows. pretty neat stuff.

Nobody gives you power. Real power is something you take.

I fix things till they can't be fixed
Ski Doo Snowmobiles
Financial Planning
Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 AM
Mr 2 chits

My moms longtime boyfriend was in to chips and electronics and stuff. Very weird but fascinating fellow. He was born in Berlin in 1941 so I'm sure that had to be exciting!!

Not quite the same but had an extreme understanding of electronics:

Quote:
After college, he was for many years employed as a consultant for companies in the aerospace, electronics and health-care industries. In addition to his consulting business, he purchased and for ten years managed a company that made transistors and capacitors. Among the companies he consulted for were Goodyear Aerospace Corp., North American Aviation, Arizona Electronics Standards Lab, Julie Research Laboratories, RFL Industries, and many more.
http://lymebook.com/blog/research-ne...-jim-meissner/

More of his inventions: http://www.meissnerresearch.com/
Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
Thanks Everybody!

I retired from IBM March '12 with 39 years of service.
Well then as you already know.... 30+ years at IBM is becoming a rarity.... congratulations on your retirement
Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
My moms longtime boyfriend was in to chips and electronics and stuff. Very weird but fascinating fellow. He was born in Berlin in 1941 so I'm sure that had to be exciting!!

Not quite the same but had an extreme understanding of electronics:

http://lymebook.com/blog/research-ne...-jim-meissner/

WOW, interesting guy! Thanks for posting the information!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH View Post
Well then as you already know.... 30+ years at IBM is becoming a rarity.... congratulations on your retirement
Thank you!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 AM

Check out this link for specs on the P7 CPU: http://www.7-cpu.com/cpu/Power7.html
Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH View Post

I worked in bipolar development in Manassas, Va. from '72 till '77. Our group developed, and fabricated, the industry's first vertical NPN transistor with a totally implanted emitter-base structure. Our group also developed the high voltage bipolar technology, that was used in gas-panel displays. It was with this development that I received my first patent for a structure that made these high voltage devices more reliable:

http://www.google.com/patents/US4113512

Our group was moved to Burlington, Vt. in '77, and after making business trips there in the winter, I knew Burlington was not for my wife and I. That's when we moved to Durham, NC and worked at RTP.

I found this photo of a chip our group in RTP developed back in the late 80's, roughly 30 years before the P7 chip came out. Our group in RTP did the circuit, logic, and physical design of the chip, and then did the semiconductor fabrication in our development line. As a comparison, the minimum feature size (poly width) in the late 80's was 1 micron (1000nm), and 30 years later, the minimum feature size (poly width) is 45nm. I haven't been keeping up on the latest semiconductor technology since retiring, but the last I heard, the minimum feature size was 22nm.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
boy,his speakers sound interesting.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Mr 2 chits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutphen30 View Post
boy,his speakers sound interesting.
I'm not crazy when I say this but they would blow you out of the room but we could stand there and have a conversation at normal levels as well.

Now you say, how can that be. How can they blow you out of the room they are so loud but we can have a conversation right there as well. Answer is I have no idea how but that is why they are so amazing. Crazy!!

Like this guy said: Jim Green benefit for Little Heart - "These speakers are playing music at a 100+ Watt level that can be heard 1/4 mile away and yet people are standing near the speakers without getting "killed" by the sound level."

12" base with 8" PVC coming out of it and some cardboard tubes in the middle of the PVC (like wrapping paper tubes).

http://meissnerresearch.com/MarkB/markb.htm

That was the set I had in my living room over a decade ago. You can see the base of one in the background of this pic of Bud E when he was 1-2 years old (will be 12 this year)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buddy (9).jpg (264.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mark1.jpg (33.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

sweet MM,can you take some detailed pics of them,,love to see them up close and personal.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Mr 2 chits

I'll see what I can do. I sold that set a few years ago to his son so I no longer have them but my mom has a few sets and the instructions on how to build them. The man had a hell of an ear for sound!! It would sound great to me, then he would tweak them for a few more hours and I thought they sounded the same but then he would turn them back to what they were set on and I could clearly tell the difference.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll see what I can do. I sold that set a few years ago to his son so I no longer have them but my mom has a few sets and the instructions on how to build them. The man had a hell of an ear for sound!! It would sound great to me, then he would tweak them for a few more hours and I thought they sounded the same but then he would turn them back to what they were set on and I could clearly tell the difference.
thanks,,man does sound interesting.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:46 AM

A new photo using extension tubes. Eye of the needle for size comparison: