Go Back   Boatfreaks > General Forums > Insurance and Finance
Register Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Insurance Renewal - Best Brokers and Prices

Ok....so we are coming up on our 3rd boating season with our 2008 Formula 382 FasTech w/ 600sci's.

Last year i expected our premiums to come down alot more than they did so this year i am going to do my homework alot earlier.

Who are yaw using for your High Performance Boat Insurance Brokers and who are the best Underwriters (price/coverage)?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Mr 2 chits

I still use ol' Sly Sy
Sy Goldberg
Account Executive
Phone: 856-767-8134 Ext: 581
http://www.totaldollar.com/site/2105926015/Staff.asp
http://www.totaldollar.com/site/2105...sp?e=368370048

I'm hoping this plug gets me a discount, however he's older than Wrink so might forget to give me a break between the time he reads this post and clicks the screen to pull up my account
Old 12-16-2017, 07:32 AM

Switched to Wozencraft last year on my Nortech and saved about 40% with more coverage.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:59 AM

This maybe a little off topic but I have been looking at getting a newer used boat. I have found a few cats I like and when I was going to pull the trigger the insurance quotes I received have made me look another direction. I was quoted $6500 a year for a ten year old dcb 28 with twin 300 outboards. And almost the same for a eliminator with twin 500s. How do average guys afford the insurance on these kind of boats? $500 a month for insurance on a boat that will only go out a handful of times a year is kind of hard for me to swallow. Jeff wurl
Old 12-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Head Trouble Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwurl View Post
This maybe a little off topic but I have been looking at getting a newer used boat. I have found a few cats I like and when I was going to pull the trigger the insurance quotes I received have made me look another direction. I was quoted $6500 a year for a ten year old dcb 28 with twin 300 outboards. And almost the same for a eliminator with twin 500s. How do average guys afford the insurance on these kind of boats? $500 a month for insurance on a boat that will only go out a handful of times a year is kind of hard for me to swallow. Jeff wurl
They are doing liability only and for minimum amounts.

Nobody gives you power. Real power is something you take.

I fix things till they can't be fixed
Ski Doo Snowmobiles
Financial Planning
Old 12-16-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone 5 View Post
They are doing liability only and for minimum amounts.
Not true. I'm only paying $1125/yr for full value coverage of the purchase price on a 2001 30 Spectre w/twin 300X. Wozencraft helped me. I'll admit the liability coverage was a bit lower than the policy on my previous V-bottom boat, but I was able to roll the boat under my umbrella policy with State Farm to bring that way up again.
The Following User likes PlumCrazy Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Head Trouble Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumCrazy View Post
Not true. I'm only paying $1125/yr for full value coverage of the purchase price on a 2001 30 Spectre w/twin 300X. Wozencraft helped me. I'll admit the liability coverage was a bit lower than the policy on my previous V-bottom boat, but I was able to roll the boat under my umbrella policy with State Farm to bring that way up again.
Surprised that State farm would add a Cat to your umbrella.

Not saying you can't find coverage at a semi decent price. depends on a lot of things, like seat time etc. I've seen people get cheap cat insurance with no seat time, too. Insurance companies make zero sense most days.

Nobody gives you power. Real power is something you take.

I fix things till they can't be fixed
Ski Doo Snowmobiles
Financial Planning
Old 12-16-2017, 07:59 PM

I think your auto driving record, age, claim history, and previous boat experience really factor into the cost. I'm 51 with no tickets or claims. I went from a single engine 625HP Baja 196 Sunsport(84 MPH and 5 yrs) to a 31 Sonic w/twin 496's(75 MPH and 5 yrs) to a 39 Velocity w/twin 525's(85 MPH and 2 yrs), finally ending up with a 30 Spectre that runs 106.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:10 PM

I have no tickets or accidents and no claims ever on any insurance policy. I was told that the $6500 quote would go down 30 percent after 3 years but that is still too much. I would need to have full coverage because some amount of the boat would more than likely be financed. jeff wurl
Old 12-17-2017, 09:39 AM

My Nortech 3600 Supercat is about $2500 a year with $150K on boat and $25K on trailer but I am 59 with 40 years of boating history which included a few cats and countless "other" boats. I was promised a lower rate on the Nortech after the first year but it only went down about 7% until I found Wozencraft who cut my payment in half and raised my coverage.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 AM

I use Elton-Porter on my 36 Pantera 525s. Agreed hull and trailer values. Higher liability numbers and have some extras added on. $1600/yr. I'm 33.

36 Pantera Survivor!