Go Back   Boatfreaks > General Forums > Poker Runs / Boat Shows / Racing
Register Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 11:34 AM

Powerboating for a Cure 7/27 & 28/ 2012 - official info thread

The 4th annual 2012 Powerboating for a Cure Poker Run will be on Friday July 27 & Saturday July 28 presented by MAPA (Mid Atlantic Powerboat Association). All proceeds to go to Susan G. Komen for the cure.

This year we will keep it fresh and will feature a new course options and a new lunch stop.

Please visit our website for info - www.mapacharity.org
The website will have all info / forms / registration and everything you need to know about the event.

Be sure to visit our Facebook page to chat with others and get the latest scoop! https://www.facebook.com/Powerboatingforacurepr

Questions will be answered on this thread - or you can email us at: mapapokerrun@gmail.com

Come find out why Powerboating for a Cure is THE poker run of choice in the Mid Atlantic area!

Check out these 2 reviews one from Joe @ Sunsation Powerboats and the other from Sydwayz - Both of these guys have attended many poker runs all across the country and know a good event!!!!!

PowerBoating for a Cure Poker Run
Norfolk Virginia Poker Run, Power Boating for a Cure was one of the nicest Poker Runs I have ever attended. I believe they raised around $40,000 and it was a First Class event. John Burshnel won the Poker Run and donated the money back to the cause. Craig Mytelka won first place out of ten teams for attending three local Poker Runs (Smith Mountain Lake, Jammin on the James & Power boating for a Cure) proceeds were also donated back. F-4 won Best looking Graphic out of close to 50 boats. Thanks to Craig Mytelka from Williams Mullen, William Braun owner Harbour Marine and Bob Veith for all your Hospitality and putting on such a spectacular event.
http://www.sunsationboats.com/forums...ead.php?t=4914
By: Sunsation Offshore Powerboats

Well done MAPA. Well done.

This was a fantastic Poker Run, and my only disappointment is that I have not done this run sooner. Everything was first rate, and I can't decide what was the best part: The enagement and dedication of the sponsors; the overall interaction and support of the Susan G. Komen Foundation; or just the hearty good time spent with some of the best boaters in the country. Logistics were very well planned out, with personal attention to every attendee who needed fine details. And one of the coolest things is that the entire weekend was almost all-inclusive. Friday dinner, and 3 meals on Saturday; all from the sponsors, along with water, and ice; and they even had cold beer hand delivered to the docks when time and situation was appropriate! The run covered roughly 90 miles of bay, river, and ocean, and you got to see a LOT of beautiful scenery; both kinds. There was some great hardware in attendance, and last but not least the people; both on the run, and in the community; of which I probably had the most experience with. The run was also a great cap to the Virginia Poker Run Trifecta; of which Craig Mytelka won; a sponsor twice over; and graciously donated the winnings back to the Susan G. Komen Foundation, as did several of the other winners. (As someone with a very close connection to breast cancer, this means a lot--that people really thought this much of the charity.)

This run is ABSOLUTELY on my calendar for 2012.
Looking forward to seeing everyone this year - rest assured that we are working hard to put on a spectacular event for you again this year..........
By: Sydwayz

Looking forward to seeing everyone this year - rest assured that we are working hard to put on a spectacular event for you again this year.
'00 PQ 280
'98 Wellcraft 260SE
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM

Can't wait to attend/ride if I can find one or watch from my little jetboat haha!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM

Countdown to Powerboating for a Cure:

Brad Crowder 27 Fountain
Craig Mytelka 43 Sunsation
Jon Bucenell 38 Cigarette
Joe James 37 Active Thunder
Robby Johnson 29 Fountain
Steve Ballard 37 Midnight Express
Darrell Polokonis 24 Sea Ray
Chuck Smith 44 Sea Ray
Josh Tawes 43 Black Thunder
Bill Rippel 31 Scarab
Bob Veith 31 Scarab
Todd Martin 31 Scarab
Chuck Guthrie 35 Formula
Carter Turpin 43 Silverton (Team Rudees) u gotta see this!!
Joby Kifus 35 Formula
Mark Tuck New boat

There are more entries - I just don't have them yet. PLEASE get your hotel reservations in - we don't want any disappointments. Balcony harbor view rooms are scarce.

Get up to the minute info on the Poker Run here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/349373935116991/
'00 PQ 280
'98 Wellcraft 260SE
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 06-25-2012, 01:51 PM

The Sheraton Room Reservations as of today.....Our block is 80 Rooms 40 for Friday and 40 for Saturday....we are at 30 for Friday and 31 for Saturday....61 of the 80...Don't delay!
'00 PQ 280
'98 Wellcraft 260SE
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 PM

This years Powerboating for a Cure Poker Run is just around the corner. Everything is looking great. We have some amazing items for the silent auction, D.J. spinning the tunes for a great Friday & Saturday night parties, Pool side lunch, and dont forget, some of the best views of the worlds largest Navel Base in Norfolk, Virginia. MAPA is doing its best to put on this great event. Check out our web site www.mapacharity.org for more information. Friend us on facebook https://www.facebook.com/Powerboatingforacurepr
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 AM

We are filling up VERY fast. Register today to avoid disapointment!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VideoBoard 2012l copy.jpg (214.9 KB, 0 views)
'00 PQ 280
'98 Wellcraft 260SE
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 AM

Countdown to Powerboating for a Cure:

Brad Crowder 27 Fountain
Craig Mytelka 43 Sunsation
Jon Bucenell 38 Cigarette
Joe James 37 Active Thunder
Robby Johnson 29 Fountain
Steve Ballard 37 Midnight Express
Darrell Polokonis 24 Sea Ray
Chuck Smith 44 Sea Ray
Josh Tawes 43 Black Thunder
Bill Rippel 30 Scarab
Bob Veith 30 Scarab
Chuck Guthrie 35 Formula
Carter Turpin 43 Silverton (Team Rudees)
Joby Kifus 35 Formula
Mark Tuck 44 Outerlimits
Eric Ancarrow 35 Cigarette
Dwane Fulcher 35 Fountain
Dean Clarke 32 Sunsation
Greg Barber 38 Donzi
Wayne McGee 38 Cigarette
Bob Livengood 30 Spectre
Phillip Armitage 34 Scarab
Mike Bouma 32 ??
Tone Mone 31 Sonic
Arlie Riff 42 Fountain
Jim Holthoff 40 Searay
Brian Tillet 37 Active Thunder
Paul Littlefield 28 PowerQuest
Morechell Pryor 47 Fountain
Patricia Weixler 45 Sonic
John Anslie 40 Formula
A Langhorn 35 Scarab
Sonny Shelton 32 Scarab
Harbour Marine 38 Donzi
Lynnwood Carneal 41 MTI
Billy Cully 42 Cigarette

There are still more entries - I just don't have the most up to date list yet! Registrations are rolling in now! The block of 90 rooms we had are sold out. You will have to contact the Sheraton (or other close by hotels) to book a room. As I have said repeatedly - book a room NOW! The local hotels are VERY close to being full. Drop me a note if you need to know of any close by hotels.

All GPS co-ordinates and charts are available to download off our website. www.mapacharity.org

Let's have a poker run!!!!

(you locals - don't forget about the Chippoakes festival on the 21st)
'00 PQ 280
'98 Wellcraft 260SE
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 AM

only 2 weeks to go
'00 PQ 280
'98 Wellcraft 260SE
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 AM

FRIDAY 7/27 SCHEDULE
• Noon – till: Boats arrive at Waterside
• 3PM – 7PM: Registration open pick up captains bags, credit card registrations drop off ins forms etc at OMAR’S Boathouse & Café inside Waterside
• 3PM – 7PM: T-Shirts, polo’s, ladies shirts available for sale. All proceeds go to Susan G. Komen for the Cure
• 5PM to 12AM: Cash Bar open
• 4PM to 7PM: Buffet for Participants at Hooters Friday Evening. . Wings, shrimp, pasta. Please be generous to waitresses, they are working for tips only
• 7:30- 8:30PM: Bikini Contest
• 8:30Pm till Midnight: Kick off Party, DJ and Dancing at OMAR’S Boathouse & Café inside Waterside

SATURDAY 7/28 SCHEDULE
• 8AM-10AM: Breakfast, Late Registration open, pick up captains bags, drop off ins forms etc.
• 9AM-9:45: MANDITORY Captains ONLY Meeting at OMAR’S Boathouse & Café inside Waterside Have your crew ready your boat.
• 9:45AM -10:15: Get your boat ready to depart
• 10:15AM: Horn blast Official “Start your engines” and depart Waterside marina
• 10:30AM: 1st start is for boats that cruise over 75, Wait for pace boat
• 10:45AM: 2nd start is for boats that cruise under 75, Wait for pace boat
• 10:45- Noon: First stop at BlueWater Marine in Hampton
• 11:30 – 1;30: Mandatory lunch Stop at Marina Shores. Lunch will be served at the pool by 757CRAVE. Pool is open for a nice dip. Slips are assigned and will have bright Poker Run marker on assigned docks- (marker means: ok to dock there)
• 1:30PM: Leave as a group from (lunch)
• 1:45PM: Captains Choice – This year we will have a long course to run if you desire. Depending on weather the long course will go to Rudee Inlet or the mothball fleet up the James River then back to Waterside. This will be announced at captains meeting. Or you can opt for the shorter course which will go to Harbour Marine in Little Creek and then back to Waterside. More details at captains meeting . Also see your captains bag or this website for course maps. Chuck Guthrie will be shooting pictures of your boat coming out of Lynnhaven inlet after lunch. He will be on the 72’ boat anchored to the right after you come up on plane. DO NOT RACE EACH OTHER….GOOD SPACING PLEASE.
• 2PM - 5PM: Boats Return to Waterside Marina, bar is open at OMAR’S Boathouse & Café inside Waterside
• 3:30 – 7PM: Captains play card hands, throw your dart
• 3:30–10PM: Extra shirt sales open
• 6PM to 8PM: Dinner from Outback Steakhouse
• 8PM to 8:30: Awards announcements
• 8PM: Silent auction closes. Credit Cards will be accepted
• 8PM- 12am: DJ, Dancing and party at OMAR’S Boathouse & Café inside Waterside
NOTE: CASH BAR means CASH. ATM machines available, we should be able to accept CC by Fri, but have cash in case we can't (ABC law BS)

SUNDAY 7/29 SCHEDULE
• Boats Depart WaterSide Marina. Most folks gather at Chippoakes up the James River for social time.
'00 PQ 280
'98 Wellcraft 260SE
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Poker runners, here is the lastest docking assignments. Please don't ask to be moved because we expect more registrations and will need slips for them as well.

See ya Friday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dockchart_2012 copy.jpg (118.4 KB, 0 views)
'00 PQ 280
'98 Wellcraft 260SE
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 AM

Everyone on the committee will be setting up the poker run today. Going to be VERY hot also. Take it slo and drink lots - I plan to. LOL

When you pull into the marina, dock hands in yellow shirts are there to assit you. Also, there are volunteers in yellow shirts that are ready to help you at the event. Committee members will have dark grey shirts - we generally know every aspect of the event and can answer just about any question you may have.

Did I mention it was going to be hot? The AC in the bar will have a hard time keeping up when we have a full house. So please try to keep the outside doors closed as much as possible.

See everyone later today!!!!!

Those of you that have not done this run - you really don't know what you are missing. Name any other poker run where waitresses bring you shrimp, lamb, steak bites and adult beverages as you are returning from the run? What other poker run feeds you dinner on Fri, then a hot breakfast, hot lunch with your choice of items and a steak & chicken dinner from Outback steakhouse on Sat? What other poker run makes SURE the bar is stocked with top shelf booze and no up charge to you? What other poker run gives you a soft sided cooler and then fills it with some pretty cool stuff? Joe Schadenbrand from Sunsation Powerboats (is here again) says Powerboating for a Cure is the best poker run he has EVER attended - and he has attended a bunch!

All this for $350! I dare you to find a better value for your money!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 616773_4395149365629_2052206868_o.jpg (466.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg food.jpg (65.4 KB, 0 views)
'00 PQ 280
'98 Wellcraft 260SE
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-29-2012, 09:23 PM

I want to sincerely thank each and every one of you for making Powerboating for a Cure Poker Run the overwhelming sucess that it was! We couldn't have done it with out you! Over $25,000.00 was raised for breast cancer research! Each and every one of you should be proud of what you helped us do!

I wish we had more time to visit with everyone - seems like once a good conversation started, I received a call to help out and / or had to be somewhere.

The weather was great - a bit warm - but about perfect.
Also a big THANK YOU to the other members of the poker run committee - great job!!! I am sure you all are as tired as I am. Reflecting back on the last 2 days, some random observations:

A Sunsation owner was thankful for the soft sunpad around 1am

I think i saw Superman!

The heat can knock you down - twice!

Those staying at the Sheraton saw interesting "costumes" Sunday morning.

The Sunsation F4 team loves Jäger.

The dashboard cake was unreal!!

Happy those green tote bags didn't leak or get digested!

Some great "shine" comes from Glouster and Portsmouth, Va.

Big blue/silver F650's attracts gay's on Sunday mornings.

Some people will intentionally jump into a dirty river / some not so intentionally.

Superman had one hell uv a bar!

Outerlimits and MTI make some nice toys.

Sunbrella does leak

Again - thank you to all that attended. Those tht got pictures, please post em all, I got a few, but not many.
'00 PQ 280
'98 Wellcraft 260SE
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron