PDA

View Full Version : New Poker run - PowerBoating for a Cure - Mid Atlantic

Offshore1
06-04-2009, 03:46 PM
The American Cancer Society's 1st Annual "PowerBoating for a Cure" Poker Run
Norfolk Va - Saturday Aug. 22, 2009

This is a brand new event for the Mid Atlantic Area. It is shaping up to turn into a way better than average run.

What is going on:
The American Cancer Society approached some of us local boaters / local boat dealers and sought out to form a committee from folks that have attended large scale events like: "Jax River Rally", Destin, Tickfaw, Jamin' on the James, 1000 islands etc; with the intent to start an annual boating Poker Run event.
So we got a committee of folks together and we are putting together a poker run that is shaping up to be a major event.

The idea for this first 2009 event is put on a really good event and great party - iron out the bugs, get suggestions and next year we hope to make it a MAJOR poker run. Mark your Calendar for this event! You can help us shape a Mid Atlantic area poker run into a major event.

What is different about this poker run than those run in this area in the past? - lots and some more that is not yet finalized:

Thurs:
Nothing official planned - this year yet
Come in early and check out some of the best boating in the area

Fri nite:
Last minute registration
Secure docking at Waterside Marina with security
Mandatory Captains (ONLY) meeting
Friday nite Party right after Captains Meeting
More being ironed out for Friday

Saturday:
Breakfast provided on the docks
Poker run will blast off around 10AM
New course - Smooth water - all size boats welcome
Lunch Stop with swimming pool and a nice lunch
Social time on the docks after the poker run :booze1:
A nice Dinner and party starts around 6:00 inside Waterside in air conditioning! :booze1:
Cash awards given out for 1st, 2nd, 3ed, 4th and maybe 5th place
Awards given for Best dressed crew, nicest engine / bilge, best paint - etc (details still being worked on)
There will be a silent auction - working on good items too!
There will be a live auction - items will be good stuff - stuff you WANT! There will not be the normal "trophy", instead, the winners will receive something VERY cool that you will want to display in your home. I doubt it will get tossed in the shed or garage.

Sunday:
Your time to do as you please.

Not all details are firmed up yet. We have more in the works, but are NOT mentioned until it is locked in. There will be Ditty bags, T-shirts, prizes and more! I or one of the committee will update you as we get it confirmed. Website will be up soon and will have details added also.

With the the pull and experience of the American Cancer Society, this 1st event is shaping up to be pretty darn good. One of the guys on the committee was heavily involved in bringing the Offshore Power Boat Racing to Va Beach years ago. He is pulling strings and calling on friends to make this event a class event. Other on the committee have attended major poker runs across the country and we are blending some of those elements into this event. We are also asking for advice from the organizers of other major poker runs around the country. Again, the ACS has lots of influence.

As I stated above, the committees plan is to start off modest this year, make sure we get it right and people leave saying "WOW - I gotta be there next year!!", and then we ramp it up. Think of this as the 1st year of Jamin on the James, of 1st year of Jacksonville River Rally and you get the idea. You won't want to miss it.

For out of towners, we are working on ramp / rig logistics and security. Also we are securing accommodations VERY near by for those that don't care to stay on the boat.

Our web page and lots more info will be up soon!

Offshore1
06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Forgot to mention -
While the majority of boats are go-fast boats, this event is open to all types of boats. We already have a 72' boat signed up!

Also - Randy Nuzzo will be on hand for aerial photos - In addition, we will have a video included with your entry. (May even be in Hi Def - that is a BIG maybe!!)

deepvracer
06-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Should be a good event! Everything is comming together.

Offshore1
06-06-2009, 02:00 PM
more info

Offshore1
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Map of the course

deepvracer
06-24-2009, 08:36 PM
This event is really coming together nicely! Being on the committee, we are working hard to make this a successful event!

Nauti-Props
06-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Can't wait. It's about time we have a class act in Hampton Roads. If anyone can come...I highly recommend it. The scenery and the water are fantastic!

Offshore1
07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
iT IS GETTING BETTER THAN EXPECTED. Lots of components coming into place!!

Offshore1
07-14-2009, 02:14 PM
POWER FOR A CURE POKER RUN 2009: to Benefit the American Cancer Society!

Great New course - Smooth water - all size boats welcome
Start and End at Waterside Marina - Norfolk VA
Capt. Meeting Friday Night at Black Finn's Restaurant. at Waterside.
Capt. Bag for each boat
Social time on the docks afterward
Registration includes dockage for Friday and Saturday Night at Waterside Marina!
Registration includes Friday nite party and entertainment
Registration includes breakfast saturday morning
Registration includes lunch for 2 at kokomo's on Saturday with swimming pool.
Registration includes Dinner for 2 at Awards Party, Dinner provided by Outback, at Black Finns Rest at Waterside (in Air Conditioning)
There will be a live auction - items will be good stuff - stuff you WANT! Don't let some out bid you on . . . . . can't divulge items yet.
Video of the event after the fact.
Randy Nuzzo will be shooting stills available for sale.
Cash Prizes for 1st thru 5th place
Trophies for a number of recognitions-Best dressed crew, Nicest engine, Best paint, Best looking boat, & Longest distance towed.
Two Event T-Shirts for the Capt and 1 Crew Member (total of 4).

Don't Miss It...The Only Local Poker Run in Hampton Roads this year!!

Website is: www.powerboatpokerrun.org

Offshore1
07-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Got a bunch of boats signed up and / or committed. Sign up NOW!
We are limited to the number of boats we can have, don't delay, this will be a "must do" event.

So far we have: (Now this is from memory)
2 or 3 Cigarette Top Guns
2 Formula 38's
1 Formula 27
1 Sunsation F4
1 Donzi 32
1 82' Sea Ray I think - will run the tender
1 Midnight Express
1 38 Fountain
1 30' Baja

Updated 7/16 (not from memory)
1 33 Donzi
1 72' SeaRay
1 40' Fountain
1 33' Scarab Sport
1 26' Wellcraft
2 37' Intrepid

The following have committed, bet we have not yet received the entry fee
3 Cigarette Cafe Racer
3 Cigarette Top Gun
1 35 Scarab
1 24 Switzer
1 27 Velocity
1 42 Fountain
1 34 PowerQuest
1 29 Velocity
1 38 Hustler
1 35 Fountain
2 37 Active Thunder

This run is gonna fill up fast - sign up!

Offshore1
07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
If you are going to do this run sign up! To ensure a spot, ensure t-shirts and enough of everything, we need the best possible head count - it would be wise to sign up as soon as you can. We are getting close to cut off date for T-Shirts / Captains Bags (these will be oh so cool) / and other things.

IF NOTHING ELSE - SEND IN YOUR PAPERWORK AND MAIL YOUR CHECK LATER

Registration includes:
Capt. meeting Friday night
Friday nite party with band / food / and a cash bar
Capt. Bag for each boat
dockage for Friday and Saturday Night at Waterside Marina!
breakfast Saturday morning
lunch for 2 at kokomo's on Saturday with swimming pool.
Dinner for 2 at Awards Party, Dinner provided by Outback Steak House.

There will be a live auction - items will be good stuff - stuff you WILL WANT!

Not everything is locked in and we are still working on more.
This event is a good value - docking for your boat, you'll be fed Fri nite, Saturday breakfast, lunch and dinner. You'll be able to party like a rock star on Friday, your registration will also include a DVD video of the event.

Again - to avoid any disappointment, sign up!

Latest list
So far we have: as of 7-21-09 9am
4 Cigarette Top Guns
1 Cigarette 35
2 Formula 38's
2 Fountain 27's
1 Fountain 42'
1 Donzi 28
1 Scarab 33
1 Sunsation F4
1 Donzi 32
1 82' Sea Ray I think - will run the tender
1 Midnight Express
1 38 Fountain
1 30' Baja
33' Donzi
72' SeaRay
40' Fountain
33' Scarab Sport
26' Wellcraft
37' Intrepid
37' Intrepid
1 24 Switzer

The following have committed, but we have not yet received the entry fee:
2 Cigarette Cafe Racer
2 Cigarette Top Gun
1 27 Velocity
1 34 PowerQuest
1 29 Velocity
1 38 Hustler
1 35 Fountain
2 37 Active Thunder
There are more, but I can't remember

You can safely sign up online. - make time to do it today. Website is: www.powerboatpokerrun.org

This is a new event, new organizers - the American Cancer Society has lots of pull and experience to draw upon; and we are doing exactly that!

As a side note - some of the live auction items we have received are pretty cool! Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Offshore1
08-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Ok, here is the latest list of boats.

35' Cigarette
38' Donzi
38' Cigarette
38' Formula
32' Sunsation
88' Hatteras
27' Fountain
38' Formula
27' Fountain
42' Fountain
28' Donzi
38' Formula
38' Cigarette
26' Baja Outlaw
38' Cigarette
? ? (Chad is his name - boat info not provided)
24' Switzer
38' Cigarette
33' Scarab
38' Cigarette
37' Active Thunder
27' Sea Ray
35' Fountain
38' Cigarette
33' Donzi
33' Scarab
38' Cigarette
33' Baja Outlaw
35' Wellcraft
26' Wellcraft
37' Midnight Express
28' Maxum
22' Sea Ray
24' Robalo
42' Fountain
29 Formula
27 Formula
38 Cigarette
47 Fountain
? ? Boat info coming

35' Cigarette Cafe Racer (X2)
27' Velocity
34' PowerQuest
29' Velocity
38' Hustler
35' Fountain
72' Sea Ray
37' Midnight Express

Things are coming together nicely.

Offshore1
08-01-2009, 11:56 AM
If you intend to trailer in:

The best boat ramp in the area is Portsmouth City Park.
140 City Park Ave. Portsmouth, VA 23701
Plug the address into the GPS and let the truck take you there. If you have never been there before, you will have to pass through a graveyard, then a golf course, which is attached to City Park. The ramps are all the way at the end of the park. It's free and has a security patrol. This is the ramp some of us use.
Good parking and an overflow lot for oversized trailers.
Stay in the channel during low tide. Better safe than sorry!!
Waterside is 15 minutes from the ramp. VERY EASY!!!

N36 50.035 W76 22.234

Offshore1
08-04-2009, 04:47 PM
HOTEL Info:
If you want a Hotel; we have a block of rooms with a group rate set up at the Sheraton Waterside which is located next to the Waterside Marina / event. Once these blocked rooms are filled, you can still get the
group rate provided the hotel still has rooms available. The hotel is very closed to being booked for the weekend.

Call the Sheraton Waterside at 757-622-6664 tell them you are part of the American Cancer Society Powerboating for a Cure poker run and would like the $109.00 city rate or the $119.00 waterfront rate.
http://www.sheratonnorfolkwaterside.com

Offshore1
08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Latest list of boats registered thus far!

35' Cigarette
38' Donzi
38' Cigarette
38' Formula
32' Sunsation
88' Hatteras
27' Fountain
38' Hustler
38' Formula
27' Formula
29' Formula
27' Fountain
42' Fountain
33' Baja Outlaw
28' Donzi
38' Cigarette
38' Formula
35' Cigarette
35' Fountain
27' Aero Tech
38' Cigarette
43' Sunsation
26' Baja Outlaw
38' Cigarette
29' Baja Outlaw
24' Switzer
27' Baja
38' Cigarette
33' Scarab
37' Active Thunder
38' Cigarette
27' Sea Ray
35' Fountain
38' Cigarette
33' Donzi
33' Scarab
38' Cigarette
35' Wellcraft
26' Wellcraft
37' Midnight Express
28' Maxum
22' Sea Ray
24' Robalo
38' Fountain
35' Fountain
29' Fountain
47' Fountain
35' Fountain
38' Intrepid
??? ????

35' Cigarette Cafe Racer (X1)
27' Velocity
34' PowerQuest
29' Velocity
37' Midnight Express

We are at 50 boats as of Tuesday nite!

T-shirt deadline is now gone. If you register after today, we will do our best to get you t-shirts in your size.

We will be emailing everyone a map of the ramp, directions to the marina and an approximate schedule of events.

Offshore1
08-07-2009, 08:33 AM
For those that will be launching boat at Portsmouth City Park, here is a map on how to get to waterside. You will also be emailed a better chart very soon.

Also including chart of the overall course with GPS info - pre load these into your GPS.

Offshore1
08-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Just got a BUNCH more sign ups today! Will adjust boat list after I get all info!

Gotta go booze shopping soon too. Good thing a bunch of us have F350's!!
I'll try to get a pic of all the booze in the bed of the truck!

Also, the Sheraton Hotel is totally booked up. We will have another hotel lined up today.

Offshore1
08-14-2009, 12:52 PM
The Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel is sold out. If you did not reserve your room at the Sheraton, there are limited rooms available at the Marriott (within walking distance). If you are interested in reserving a room at the Marriott email William Braun at william@hmboats.com. Rooms will be reserved on a first come first serve basis. The cost is $109/night.

*Reminder note - we can not accept charge cards at the bar. Thus the cash bar is cash.

The auction is cash / check and we can work with credit cards .

See you on August 21 / 22!

Thank you
The Poker Run Committee

Offshore1
08-15-2009, 09:09 AM
The 2 Hotels we worked with are sold out. Evidently there are 3 weddings and some conventions going the same weekend.

This is the next closest hotel. It is with-in walking distance. It would be a 2 or 3 minute taxi ride.
If you still need a room, try there.
FYI - We have NOT approached them.

The Courtyard Norfolk Downtown
520 Plume Street
Norfolk, VA 23510
(757) 963-6000‎
(757) 963-6001‎ - Fax

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/orfdt-courtyard-norfolk-downtown/

Offshore1
08-16-2009, 02:59 PM
The Marriott Courtyard has rooms:
http://www.hotels.com/property.do?po...&s=1&CIMonth=8

The search should pull up
Courtyard by Marriott Norfolk Downtown
520 E Plume St
Norfolk, VA, 23510
866-539-0036

They do have rooms, and you can walk, stumble or super quick taxi - it is 0.18 miles from the event.
As a comparison - the 2 Hotels that we have deals with - the Sheraton is 0.4 miles from the event and the Marriott is 0.17 miles from the event.

So the Courtyard is really close by!!! Want a room? Try them

BTW:
One thing that EVERYONE needs to know - At the lunch stop, NO food, NO drinks, NO alcohol can be brought into the pool area!!
Only you and a towel! That rule will be strictly enforced by the marina staff. That is their rule and they want us to abide by it.

Everything is falling into place nicely. I'll load a picture of the truckload of booze if I can. The bar list is - WOW!

Offshore1
08-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Here is a revised schedule of events, dock assignments at Waterside Marina and some Marriott Hotel info.

A note from the guy that did the dock assignments: "We have completely filled Waterside Marina. I have done my best to accommodate everyones requests, but I had to make all the boats fit. These dock assignments are locked it. Please dock in your designated slip when you arrive."

Check in & Registration (if we don't have a copy of your insurance, make sure you have a copy of it Friday) will open at 5:00 at Dockmaster's inside Waterside (basically go in 1st door and it will at your left). Please make sure the captains are at the Captains meeting at 7PM. We have allot of information to go over and want to ensure everyone knows what will be happening. Also look in your captains bag, there is information in there as well (plus some goodies).

We all look forward to meeting all of you - look for committee members in blue polo shirts and volunteers in gold T-shirts if you need assistance.

Friday Events schedule
Boats Arrive all day
1) 5pm - 8pm - social time and lite snacks at Hooters - their bar is open
2) 5pm - 7pm - Check-in & pre-registration open. Pick up captain bags, drop off insurance forms at Dockmasters in Waterside
3) 7pm - 8:00- Captains only meeting (food and bar at still at Hooters for crew and Captains after meeting)
4) 9pm - till ? Kick off party, Band will begin, cash bars open

Saturday Events schedule
1) 8am - 9am Breakfast at Dockmaster’s
2) 8am - 9am - Late check in & pre-registration open.
3) 9am - 9:15am - captains meeting (only if you missed Friday’s meeting)
4) 9:30 1st horn blast = get boat ready to depart (your crew should be on board)
5) 9:45 2nd horn blast (double) Official "Start your engines" and depart waterside marina
6) 10:00 - 5:00 poker run
A) 10:00 - 2:00 Stop #1
B) 11:00 - 1:00 Stop #2
C) 12:00- 2pm Card stop #3 and lunch at Kokomos / Pool open - At the lunch stop, NO food, NO drinks, NO alcohol can be brought into the pool area!!
D) 2:00 pm - leave Marina Shores
E) 2:30 - 4:00 stop #4 and then to Waterside finish

7) 4:30 - 8:00pm Pull your cards, cash bar open
8) 7:00pm - 9:00pm Dinner, awards, auction, fun, cash bar
9) 9:00 pm - till ? DJ will begin entertainment

Offshore1
08-23-2009, 08:18 PM
My most sincere THANK YOU to everyone who put their trust in us, and tried a brand new event. We reached FULL CAPACITY about 6 or 7 days before the run - WOW!

I have received nothing but positive comments, but 2 comments really stand out. Someone said they they have attended many of "the big" poker runs all over the country, and that our event was actually more fun and better organized than most of those "big events".
The other stand out comment was from someone who was not local. He was blown away with how good the event was! He was from out of town, and what impressed him was how an "out of towner" like him was welcomed and made to feel like everyone in attendance had been friends for years!

Cameras were all over the place; I am sure the pictures will start getting posted as soon as everyone recovers. I think several will need new livers after the last 2 days . . . .
I know that I am whooped.

The committee will meet this week and start discussing next years event. We have some more VERY good ideas!! We will fine tune things and make it even bigger and better for next year, So if you think this years event was good - wait until next year, and plan for a Friday and Saturday chock full of things to do and entertainment!!! The best is yet to come! So tell everyone you know that they do not want to miss the 2nd annual American Cancer Society's Powerboating for a Cure Poker Run!!!

Again, many thanks for all the great folks that put their trust in us. We are humbled that so many took us at our word that we would put on a GOOD, safe and fun event. Also, thank you for helping us to raise money for the American Cancer Society! Hopefully we can get closer to a cure!

Offshore1
08-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Hey we're already on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-EnpXqbZck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clgH5mpk0DY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G06TTtIY97U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfTD2ZAJYwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70VxY9BNusg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wuH9eKZ8U8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab3Q9ynqAyQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m24Hqpw4F8k

Thanks to Outbreak9!

t500hps
08-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Had a great time...briefly met another "freak" in the lunch line but I was distracted with low blood sugar and staring at all that food! For those of you that come for Jammin on the James, the dock party will never compete but otherwise this run was just as fun.......for some reason I became the subject of "body-shots" on the bar that night! :rock

(TJ, I was wearing a fading BOATFREAKS T-shirt for the day!!!!!)

AMBUSHER
08-24-2009, 07:54 PM
(TJ, I was wearing a fading BOATFREAKS T-shirt for the day!!!!!)

:rock, Shoot me a PM with your address and I will send out a new one:test:

AMBUSHER
08-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Again, many thanks for all the great folks that put their trust in us. We are humbled that so many took us at our word that we would put on a GOOD, safe and fun event. Also, thank you for helping us to raise money for the American Cancer Society! Hopefully we can get closer to a cure!

Sounds like you had an awesome event and for a great cause, Congrats:rock

Offshore1
08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
TJ, you need to come the event next year. I'll make sure Jon B harasses you to come.