PDA

View Full Version : Now Introducing... My new addition

In The Pink
09-21-2008, 06:50 PM
The coolest oldschool boat of all time.(too me anyway) I got my hands on a 1989 42' Fountain. The boat was in rack storage and is being placed on my trailer. It's kind of a project boat as it has been in storage for quite some time. More about the boat later. Now for pictures!!!:1bounce:1bounce:1bounce

In The Pink
09-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Getting ready for the trailer.

In The Pink
09-21-2008, 06:58 PM
aligning the trailer.

MIKES280
09-21-2008, 07:00 PM
looks good let see some engine pics and what are you planing to do to the boat

In The Pink
09-21-2008, 07:02 PM
on the trailer, ready to go.

In The Pink
09-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks Mike280. As you can see it has SSM#3a drives.

In The Pink
09-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Motors and interior shots. The vinyl is in excellent condition. The dash needs some love but I am going to get the motors ready first.

AMBUSHER
09-21-2008, 07:13 PM
on the trailer, ready to go.

Very Cool! got to love the old school rides:rock

I see its got #3's(would ya look at them props) so what under the hatch?:test:

In The Pink
09-21-2008, 07:17 PM
All I can say is I LOVE this boat. I need some time to get things together but I will be pulling motors soon to see what I have to work with and figure out my budget. :rollsmile He said budget!

In The Pink
09-21-2008, 07:21 PM
so what under the hatch?:test:

GM Tall Decks. Oh, somewhere around 609 cubes.:1bounce:1bounce:1bounce

AMBUSHER
09-21-2008, 07:27 PM
GM Tall Decks. Oh, somewhere around 609 cubes.:1bounce:1bounce:1bounce

Very cool, It looks really clean.

jryan26
09-21-2008, 07:31 PM
I love the radar arch!

In The Pink
09-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I love the radar arch!

You need something for the bunnies to hold on to.:rock

MIKES280
09-21-2008, 08:31 PM
You need something for the bunnies to hold on to.:rockno he needs a boat that runs:rollsmile:stirpot

blue thunder
09-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Holy crap Howard that thing looks brand new!! :rock Congratulations I can't wait to see it in person. What do you think needs to be done to the engines after sitting so long?

We'll have to have another Rock Hall Lunch run and shoot some video of her running for ya. You think you'll launch her this year yet?

BT

In The Pink
09-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Holy crap Howard that thing looks brand new!! :rock Congratulations I can't wait to see it in person. What do you think needs to be done to the engines after sitting so long?

We'll have to have another Rock Hall Lunch run and shoot some video of her running for ya. You think you'll launch her this year yet?

BT

Thanks Dave. No, not this year. I had to jump on this right away and gotta save some $$$ for parts. I'm going to tear it down and inspect everything. It's going to need springs, cams, I might go hydrolic lifters, and the heads are suspect. So, it needs a major overhaul on the motors. But, the parts it has are good ones and I am going to save as much as I can.

AMBUSHER
09-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks Dave. No, not this year. I had to jump on this right away and gotta save some $$$ for parts. I'm going to tear it down and inspect everything. It's going to need springs, cams, I might go hydrolic lifters, and the heads are suspect. So, it needs a major overhaul on the motors. But, the parts it has are good ones and I am going to save as much as I can.

how long has she been in storage? I still cant get over how clean it looks.

Skill Saw 30
09-21-2008, 11:32 PM
very nice boat.think its time for some modern props.:eek:

MMarsha
09-22-2008, 06:11 AM
Congrats!!!

jetmech
09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Wow Howard ... 29 to a 42 is a big jump for ya. Can I ride with you on the next lunch run ?I'll leave the little Nova in the garage.:rock

I found some new power for ya ... :stirpot
Bob

Panther
09-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Nice looking oldschool Fountain, good luck with it!!!!

A long time ago I gave a 42' a facelift by changing the rubrail to white, painting the louvers and vents white etc... It really changed the look of the boat!!

About a year after I did the facelift the owner put in an anodized red dash along with new monster guages and it tied it all together!!

In The Pink
09-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Wow Howard ... 29 to a 42 is a big jump for ya. Can I ride with you on the next lunch run ?I'll leave the little Nova in the garage.:rock

I found some new power for ya ... :stirpot
Bob

Bob, can ya have those painted pink for me. :rock

In The Pink
09-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Nice looking oldschool Fountain, good luck with it!!!!

A long time ago I gave a 42' a facelift by changing the rubrail to white, painting the louvers and vents white etc... It really changed the look of the boat!!

About a year after I did the facelift the owner put in an anodized red dash along with new monster guages and it tied it all together!!

To be honest with you, I have been looking at a lot of Fountains since I decided to buy this thing and I like the old school look of it. I like the black. The only thing the really bugs me is the dash. But, I've got a long list of things to do before I get to the dash.

Thanks for all the comments.

blue thunder
09-22-2008, 04:56 PM
My dash is black too. That was the thing back in the old school daze.

Do you have a list of internal parts on those engines Howard? I hate to say this but for me there is no way I could not get them running before teardown. That may not be smart but I don't get accused of that often :action-smiley-081: What I would do is pull the valve covers and intakes and inspect the top end. If it has flat tappet cams dump a bunch of stp oil treatment on the cams and put in fresh rotella, then run the oil pump and build pressure while turning the engine over by hand. If you could pressure test the coolant system and exhaust on the boat that would be good too. Then, assuming all looks good, I would pop them off to see what I have. Sometimes just tearing them down is not the best approach. But like I said, that's just me. I tend to fuk a lot of stuff up before I get it right, so take that advise for what you paid for it :1bounce If you want or need any help say the word, that looks like a fun project!

Dave

In The Pink
09-22-2008, 05:28 PM
My dash is black too. That was the thing back in the old school daze.

Do you have a list of internal parts on those engines Howard? I hate to say this but for me there is no way I could not get them running before teardown. That may not be smart but I don't get accused of that often :action-smiley-081: What I would do is pull the valve covers and intakes and inspect the top end. If it has flat tappet cams dump a bunch of stp oil treatment on the cams and put in fresh rotella, then run the oil pump and build pressure while turning the engine over by hand. If you could pressure test the coolant system and exhaust on the boat that would be good too. Then, assuming all looks good, I would pop them off to see what I have. Sometimes just tearing them down is not the best approach. But like I said, that's just me. I tend to fuk a lot of stuff up before I get it right, so take that advise for what you paid for it :1bounce If you want or need any help say the word, that looks like a fun project!

Dave

Yeah, I hear ya. What I do know is that the valve guides are pushed through the heads. It has extreme spring pressure and is not set up optimally for me. Less Maint. the better. I'm pretty sure they're solid rollers and I need to calm things down a bit. The way I see it, it's better to tear it down and find potential problems now as opposed to breaking stuff later. I am looking forward to the project. I have help from my brothers in law who own a shop. They know this boat as Lorenzo had "fixed" the heads once before. I'm in good hands and will take the time to do it right the first time.

blue thunder
09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
And the timing is right to do just that, football season :1bounce

In The Pink
09-22-2008, 06:26 PM
And the timing is right to do just that, football season :1bounce

Well, if I can get the motors out now I will be able to really mess with it in February.:nudie

ProLite1
09-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Very nice boat. Best of Luck!

Velocity Vector
09-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Good to see someone taking the time to bring her back to life again. Good name to "Back Again"

In The Pink
09-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the comments. If I were to rename it, the name would have to follow the Pink Floyd theme. I thought of Time Machine. That would definitely look cool.

rammius
09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Gorgeous machinery man, congrats :)

In The Pink
09-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks Rammius.

My wife is so sick of my chit right now its not funny. She mocks me "Fountain this... Pink Floyd that..." Last night she said she was getting jealous and needs time away from the boat.(if ya know what I mean):1bounce She can't be too bad, she did let me buy it.:test:

CBlakeNS
09-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Nice man, looks like it would be a good project!! Nice boat.

rammius
09-25-2008, 05:07 AM
Thanks Rammius.

My wife is so sick of my chit right now its not funny. She mocks me "Fountain this... Pink Floyd that..." Last night she said she was getting jealous and needs time away from the boat.(if ya know what I mean):1bounce She can't be too bad, she did let me buy it.:test:

Typical, women, can`t live with them can`t live without them :D
Anyway enjoy both of them in good health.

Regards